Tuesday 11 April 2017

IR Volume Control for Sonos Connect AMP


Our house has a finished basement with speakers built into the ceiling and walls.  The speaker wires run to a common spot behind a mount for a flat-screen TV.  I already own a Sonos Connect Amp and I wanted to use it to play the audio from the TV on the builtin speakers.  Acoustically, everything is great, but adjusting the volume is less than ideal.  Because the Connect Amp does not have an IR receiver, a universal remote is not able to change the volume.  The only way to change the volume is to use the Sonos app on my smartphone or by reaching into the equipment cabinet and physically pressing the volume buttons on the Connect Amp (I know, I know, first world problems...).  What I really wanted was to control the volume from the same remote that I was using to change channels.

My solution was to use a Raspberry Pi Zero W with an IR receiver attached to convert the signals from the TV remote to HTTP calls on my local network.  The HTTP calls then control the Sonos Amp in the same way the smartphone app does.


I do realize Sonos makes a speaker specifically for a TV, the Playbar, and it is controllable from an IR remote.  But for my application, I already had the Connect Amp and I wanted to reuse the built in speakers.

It took me few days of trial and error to get things working.  There is a lot of online content for using the Raspberry Pi as an infrared receiver.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of contradictory information in that content.  I'm not a "linux guy", so I can't claim that I fully understand all of the linux commands required to make this work.  BUT, my hope is to provide enough detail for others to recreate this project.

Read full 

No comments:

Post a Comment